This form is intended to identify NYU courses that may satisfy an area of the Liberal Arts or Historical & Cultural requirements. Once this form is submitted, the course and syllabus will be reviewed by members of the Gallatin Curriculum Committee and/or other faculty members with expertise in the field of the course under review.
Courses Eligible for Review
This form should be submitted only for courses in which at least 50% of the syllabus is focused on the period or area of the requirement. As examples:
- For a course to fill the Premodern or Early Modern requirement, at least half of the semester's coursework should focus on the respective historical period. Courses that use these historical periods as foundation or context for later historical periods do not fill this requirement.
- For a course to fulfill the Global Cultures requirement at least half of the semester's coursework should focus on non-Western culture. Please note that courses focused on globalization, colonialism, or imperialism do not necessarily satisfy the requirement. Such courses must also demonstrate a strong focus on a non-Western culture(s).
Courses Ineligible for Review
This form should NOT be submitted for Gallatin Interdisciplinary Seminars (IDSEM-UG) because they have already been reviewed and programmed for the appropriate area of the Liberal Arts and/or Historical & Cultural requirements.
This form should NOT be submitted for any of the following Gallatin courses because they do not satisfy any area of the Liberal Arts or Historical & Cultural requirements, nor will they be reviewed:
- Advanced writing courses (WRTNG-UG)
- Arts Workshops (ARTS-UG)
- Practicums (PRACT-UG)
- First-year program courses, including first-year interdisciplinary seminars and first-year writing and research seminars (FIRST-UG)
- Individualized projects, including independent studies, tutorials, etc. (INDIV-UG)
Instructions for completing this form
- Read the policy concerning what constitutes the Liberal Arts requirements and the Historical & Cultural requirements.
- Make sure the course is not already on the list of approved Liberal Arts and Historical & Cultural Courses Offered at Other NYU Schools.
- Discuss this request with your faculty adviser. Gallatin may ask your adviser to approve this request.
- Obtain the course description and the syllabus. Both are required in order to review this request.
- Please note the following before submitting this form:
- Submission of this form does not guarantee approval of your request.
- The review of this course may take up to six weeks, depending on the time of submission during the academic year. If you are requesting a review of a course you are planning to take in a near-future semester, you should arrange to take an alternate course while this review is in progress.
- Courses taken as Pass/Fail cannot be used to satisfy the Liberal Arts or Historical & Cultural requirements.
- To fulfill the Historical & Cultural requirements, students must complete three unique courses. The same course cannot be used to fulfill more than one area.