* Academic Information
NYU Current School
Department within the School (if applicable)
Program (if applicable)
Expected Degree (e.g., BA, BFA, MA, etc.)
* - Select - First-year Sophomore Junior Senior Graduate
I confirm that I will be enrolled at NYU's New York campus during the Spring semester, that I will be matriculated at NYU during the Summer term, and (if I am an undergraduate) that I will be matriculated at NYU during the following Fall semester
* Host Organization
Name of Host Organization
Host Organization Website
Have you received confirmation from this organization that you may pursue your summer project with them?
* - Select - Yes No Pending Summer Project Location
* - Select - Afghanistan Aland Islands Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Caribbean Netherlands Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo (Brazzaville) Congo (Kinshasa) Cook Islands Costa Rica Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Heard Island and McDonald Islands Honduras Hong Kong S.A.R., China Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Ivory Coast Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao S.A.R., China Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Northern Mariana Islands North Korea Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestinian Territory Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin (French part) Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Sint Maarten Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Svalbard and Jan Mayen Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States United States Minor Outlying Islands Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
US State/Canadian Province (if applicable)
- None - Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick New Foundland Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon Territory Alabama Alaska American Samoa Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Marshall Islands Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Northern Marianas Islands Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Palau Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Host Organization Contact
Project Supervisor First Name
Project Supervisor Last Name
Project Supervisor Email
Project Supervisor Telephone
Statement of Proposal
Please attach a 2- to 3-page statement (.doc, .docx, and .pdf formats accepted). Your name should appear in the header of each page. The statement should contain the following:
Clear statement of the human rights dimension you will focus on during the summer, including why you think it is a critical issue for the human rights field.
Description of the human rights organization with which you plan to work and its objectives, including the ways in which it mobilizes "human rights" in efforts for social change. Indicate if you have worked with this organization in the past.
Describe (to the extent possible) the duties and responsibilities you will likely assume during the summer with the host organization, including research, report writing, and other experiential work you hope to pursue under the organization’s supervision. Clearly indicate the goals that will be advanced by this work.
Academic or extracurricular knowledge or expertise that will help you make a contribution to the human rights issue you will address, including any relevant linguistic proficiency, completed course work, and prior independent research experience and travel.
Relevance of your human rights summer work to your Gallatin concentration, NYU major, or graduate degree.
Provide a brief summary of your summer project
* Independent Study Proposal
The required 2-credit Spring independent study need not relate to human rights; it should focus on helping you to better contextualize your summer work (e.g., a history of the conflict, background on sociopolitical aspects of the region, etc.). It should meet at least five times and should explore a minimum of five texts. Provide a 250-500-word description of the independent study you plan to undertake and how it relates to your proposed summer work. Include at least five texts you anticipate reading and indicate why each is essential to examining the aspect of human rights you wish to pursue.
Description of the Independent Study
* Independent Study Faculty Mentor
Please provide contact information for the NYU faculty mentor who will supervise your independent study.
Faculty Mentor First Name
Faculty Mentor Last Name
Faculty Mentor School/Department
Faculty Mentor Email
Faculty Mentor Telephone
A letter of recommendation is required by the application deadline from the NYU faculty member who will oversee your 2-credit Spring independent study. The letter should confirm his/her readiness to oversee your independent study and should address your academic strengths, knowledge of human rights discourse if any, and your ability to be a self-starter.
NOTE: If you have not had enough time to get to know your intended faculty mentor, we will accept a SUPPLEMENTAL letter of recommendation from an NYU faculty member who knows your academic and personal background better. However, in this case, your intended independent study faculty mentor must ALSO submit an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline confirming that s/he has agreed to oversee your Spring independent study.
Request that your recommender email the letter as an attachment to
email@example.com (.doc, .docx, or .pdf format) or mail/deliver to Gallatin Office of Global Programs, 411 Lafayette Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10003.
Detail your anticipated expenses during the summer project (e.g., transportation and living expenses, research costs, etc.). Note that this budget is intended for you to have a realistic understanding of potential costs; you will not be disqualified for estimating less than the fellowship amount, as we understand that unexpected costs might arise later. If you foresee exceeding the fellowship amount, however, you are advised to seriously reconsider your financial needs and seek additional funds elsewhere, as we cannot award extra funds.
Please attach a 1-2-page current resume or CV (.doc, .docx, and .pdf formats accepted).
Please provide contact information for an additional faculty member who can speak to your academic standing and your ability to work independently.
Reference First Name
Reference Last Name