Gallatin undergraduate students may request the pass/fail grade option for most NYU courses that are normally graded with letter grades (A through F). While courses graded with a P will count for credit toward the degree, the grade of P will not be computed in the student’s grade point average (GPA). Additionally, courses taken on a pass/fail basis do not count toward the Gallatin Dean’s List minimum credit requirement of 12 credits in graded courses.
Students are permitted to take one course per full-time academic year (32 units) on a pass/fail basis, a total of four times during the student’s academic career.
The following courses are NOT ELIGIBLE for the pass/fail option; students must receive a letter grade (A-F) for all of these courses.
- The Gallatin First-Year Interdisciplinary Seminar
- The Gallatin First-Year Research Seminar
- The Gallatin Transfer Student Research Seminar
- The Gallatin Senior Project
- Courses used to fulfill the Gallatin liberal arts and historical and cultural requirements
- Gallatin travel courses (with the prefix TRAVL-UG, TRAVL-GG)
- Language courses taught in fall or spring semesters at NYU Study Abroad sites. (The pass/fail option is permitted for language courses taught in summer sessions at NYU sites abroad.)
- Courses that count towards your minor requirement. Students should consult with the department offering the minor for details.