Plan of Study, Graduate

Instructions for completing the Plan of Study

  1. This form is intended for students who are planning to register for courses or credits during the upcoming semester. It is designed to help you and your adviser define your educational goals and to identify strategies for accomplishing them.
  2. Schedule a meeting with your primary adviser before completing this form, and well in advance of your registration appointment time. Depending on your adviser’s availability it may take a minimum of one to three business days (Monday-Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm Eastern time) for your adviser to approve your Plan of Study. After your adviser approves the Plan of Study, Gallatin’s Office of Student Services will lift the adviser registration block on Albert. 
  3. Before completing this form, please consult the M.A. Degree Requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of their remaining degree requirements and to plan accordingly.  Please consult your Degree Progress Report on Albert and speak with your adviser about appropriate course selections that will fulfill these requirements. If you have not yet been assigned a primary adviser, please contact your interim adviser.
  4. To identify the courses you want to take this semester, please consult the Gallatin Graduate Course Offerings, Graduate Electives at Other NYU Schools and the course search function in Albert. If you are an incoming student, you may not have access to Albert yet, and you can use the public NYU Course Search to find registration information on the classes you plan to take; you can filter for graduate-level courses by selecting the Academic Career filter and choosing “Graduate” in the drop-down menu (Graduate students will not receive credit toward the MA degree for undergraduate-level courses.).
  5. If you need more information on registration, please consult the Graduate Registration instructions.
  6. Once you submit this form, look for a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact the Gallatin Office of Student Services ( to make sure your Plan of Study was received.




Continuing students should answer all four questions below; entering students should answer the first two.

What short- and long-term goals (educational, professional, personal) do you hope to accomplish through the Gallatin program?
What is your area of concentration? In what schools, departments, and programs are you taking courses? What independent studies, internships, and extracurricular activities have you done or do you plan to do?
What have you done over the past semester to help realize the goals described above? In what ways have your interests, goals, and plans changed since you wrote the plan of study last semester? What difficulties are you encountering? When do you expect to complete the degree?
What courses, independent studies, and other work have you done to prepare for the thesis? What type of thesis do you plan to write (research, project, or creative)? If you are prepared to do so at this time, discuss your thesis topic.
(including transfer units and course equivalency)
(You must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.00 to remain in good academic standing; a final minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 is required for graduation.)
(You are required to complete a minimum of 14 units in classroom courses. This does not include the Graduate Core or individualized projects such as Independent Study, Tutorial, Internship, or Private Lessons.)

Graduate Core

Graduate Core

You are required to take the following Gallatin Core Requirement courses, totaling 14 units. Check box if fulfilled.

Students who began prior to Summer 2013
If you began the program prior to Summer 2013, you might combine old and new Core Requirements. Please indicate below if you completed any of the prior requirements. For more information, contact the Gallatin MA Program Administrative Director.

Please answer all of the questions below

The questions that follow all refer to the “Semester of Registration” that you indicated at the start of this form.

I have reviewed my remaining degree requirements on my Degree Progress Report on Albert, and I acknowledge that my graduation will be delayed if I do not complete all of the Gallatin degree requirements.

Graduating students should make sure all requirements are listed as satisfied on the Degree Progress Report (DPR). Students cannot be granted a degree until all requirements are listed as satisfied in the DPR. Students with questions about their DPR should contact

Are you planning to register for an individualized project (independent studies, tutorials, internships and private lessons)?

A maximum of 12 units may be earned in individualized projects. Master’s Thesis I and Master’s Thesis II, which are required independent studies, are not counted toward these 12 units. If a student chooses to complete the Additional Gallatin Graduate Course requirement through independent study, these units will count toward the 12-unit maximum for individualized projects. Students are permitted to earn a maximum of 6 units in private lessons.

Registration for individualized projects requires the submission of a proposal form by a specific deadline for each semester . Please consult the following for registration instructions:

Are you planning to register for courses at the Stern School of Business?
  • The Stern School of Business limits enrollment in many of their courses to Stern students. Gallatin students must apply to register for a subset of Stern courses that may be available to non-Stern students. Classes at Stern are usually very difficult to access.
  • Many advanced Stern courses have prerequisites, and the courses that fulfill those prerequisites fill up quickly.
  • Non-Stern students may not take more than 6 units of Stern courses per semester, and may not take more than a total of 15 units of Stern School of Business courses.

For complete registration instructions, consult the Registration For Graduate Stern Courses web page.

Are you planning to register for an undergraduate-level course or a non-credit course at the School of Professional Studies (SPS) course?
  • Graduate students will not receive credit toward the master’s degree for undergraduate-level or SPS non-credit courses. Courses that contain -G * in the subject area (e.g. CORE- G G, COLIT- G A, MCC- G E, etc.) are graduate-level courses. Courses with a -U * in the subject code are undergraduate courses (e.g., JOUR- U A, IDSEM- U G, MCC- U E, etc.). 

Are you planning to register for Master’s Thesis I or Master’s Thesis II or Thesis Advisement?

Enrollment in Master’s Thesis I or Master’s Thesis II requires the submission of a proposal form in addition to this Plan of Study form. To learn how to register for these courses after submitting this Plan of Study, please consult the following websites:

Are you planning to exceed the 40-unit requirement for the MA degree?

While students are generally not permitted to exceed the required number of units for the degree, if there are unusual circumstances requiring additional course work in excess of 40 units, the student may petition the MA Program Committee to take the extra units. Please keep in mind that there are financial implications for exceeding 40 units.

Do you plan to apply for full-time or half-time equivalency this semester?

To learn about the policies, procedures, and instructions for applying for full-time and half-time equivalency, consult the Full-Time, Half-Time Equivalency web page.

Are you planning to defend the thesis this semester?

Students should be enrolled for either MA Thesis II or Thesis Advisement in the semester in which they will defend the thesis. At least four weeks prior to the defense, students must submit the full thesis to all committee members. At least three weeks prior to the defense, when an acceptable date and time have been arranged, the student must complete the online Thesis Defense Registration form , Students may not be allowed to defend if the preceding deadlines are not met. Students planning to defend the thesis should also apply for graduation in the semester in which they defend the thesis.

Course Selections

Are you planning to register for at least one in-person NYU course this semester?